Friday, May 13, 2016

Wading in watercolor

Creativity is contagious, pass it on - Albert Einstein

Such a great quote and one of the many reasons why I love to share my creations.  I've learned so much from many people and feel that passing it on is another way I can pay it forward.

Today's post is all about watercoloring with the non-traditional methods.  I discovered watercoloring with Distress markers quite a while ago and have been having fun with this technique ever since.


To begin I started out with a piece of Strathmore Bristol paper cut down to 4 1/2 x 6.  I stamped the Altenew Peony Scrolls flowers and leaves with Versamark onto my paper.  I then added Rangers Queens Gold embossing powder and applied heat with my heat tool to melt the powder.  On a separate piece of paper I stamped a peony and some leaves so I could fussy cut those out for later.


I scribbled variation of pinks and purple Distress markers onto a clear acrylic block.  Using my waterbrush, which was wet, I picked up colour from the block and began coloring in the images. The more water on your brush or on the paper the more variegated effect you will have with the colours. Once the flowers and leaves were dry I added in my background colour behind the flowers.  Again I placed the colour on my acrylic block and then picked it up and applied it to the paper.

Once the background layer was dry I cut a piece of vellum and stamped on the "Thank you" sentiment with Versamark, added the Queens gold embossing powder and heated it to melt the powder.  I wrapped it around my watercolor paper and taped it at the back to secure.  I then applied the extra flower and leaves over top of the vellum for added dimension.

Lastly I mounted the watercolored paper to a piece of recollections purple cardstock using 3d foam tape and then mounted it onto a blank card. 

Thank you for popping by and if you have any questions about the products used or techniques please feel free to drop me a comment below. 

Most of the products used were purchased from my local store Memories and More in West Kelowna, BC. ( www.memorycrafts.ca )as well as from another local B.C. store called All Ways Scrapbooking ( www.allwaysscrapbooking.com ) from Salmon Arm.  I like to support local when possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment