Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Colorful backgrounds

Hello crafty friends

I'm back today with a really colorful project I started on this past weekend at one of my favorite spots, Memories and More.

As in my previous posts I have been on an Alcohol Ink train for the past couple of weeks.  I had some of them in my craft stock but never really knew how to really make them look lovely.  The colours I had previously purchased were fairly dull so it didn't inspire too much as I tend to be drawn to more colorful projects. I purchased some new colours and then had a quick tutorial from a dear friend and off I went and I'm having so much fun!

I changed things up a bit when I created the background for this card (thank you Maresa for the tip).  I used the "swipe" method to get this amazing background.  I followed the basic instruction of dropping the ink but I did it onto my craft mat this time, instead of directly onto the paper.  I took my cut out piece of Specialty stamping paper and dropped it onto the ink, face first, and then swirled it slightly and then swiped it across the ink.  After lifting I titled the paper a bit to get those really neat "running" effects you see near the bottom right of the photo.  The possibilities are really endless when it comes to how you can get the ink onto your paper.  I'm looking forward to trying some new ways over the next couple of weeks so stay tuned!

For the second layer of the card I took my Altenew Wild Hibiscus stamp set and stamped one of the flowers randomly around my paper using Versamark ink.  I added some Lindy's stamp gang embossing powder to my stamped images and heated it with my heat gun to set.  Once the paper had cooled I dropped some of my alcohol inks onto an acrylic block. I also dropped a dab of plain alcohol onto the same block. I then took my aqua brush and dabbed it into the alcohol and then into my chosen ink color. Once my aqua brush was filled with colour I proceeded to paint in my flowers directly onto the paper. I varied between two of the colours to fill in the flowers.

The floating flowers you see on the third layer is vellum, embossed with the same stamped images in the second layer using the technique in step 2.  Then I took my aqua brush I coloured in the flowers as in step 2 but onto the vellum this time. The embossed edge of the flower helps to contain the alcohol/ink.  Once dried, which is really quickly, I fussy cut out the flowers and then applied them over top of the existing flowers with glue dots.  I curled up the edges of the vellum a bit so that you could see more of the three dimensional effect.

My second to last step was to add the sentiment to my card. Using the sentiment from the Altenew stamp set Wild Hibiscus I stamped it onto my card using Altenew crisp ink in Dusk.  I then quickly applied my Lindy's stamp gang powder over top and applied heat to set.

I added a little touch of sequins to my card. Pretty pink posh (rose gold 4mm) to the center of the flowers and then the additional sequins are from Memories and More.

I'm hoping to film a YouTube video in the near future on my alcohol ink backgrounds but for now you can visit the awesome Tim Holtz on YouTube and he has some really great videos on using alcohol inks. You can find him here.

Thanks for dropping by and stay tuned for more alcohol ink adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment