Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Daily Marker 30 Day challenge Day 8

Hi everyone, Michelle here with Day 8 of The Daily Marker 30 day challenge. 

Where did that first week go??? Here it is Wednesday already and I've already lost a day ... But lucky enough for all that is lost can sometimes be found. Thank God for that otherwise I would be still looking for my brain 😳😉 lol.



Since that big day is coming up where most celebrate that big word LOVE I thought I would pay tribute to all the loveliness. My card today was inspired by my lovely Heidi Swapp tiny heart stencil. Simon Says stamp has this wonderful stencil in stock. Here is the link: https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product.aspx?id=127852



This project combined 4 main elements: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads/Blending Tools, Heidi Swapp Tiny Hearts stencil, Embossing Powder and the Close to my Heart stamp set called Sweet and Lovely. It really doesn't take too much to give you that wow factor and an idea, if you do not have a stencil, is to take a small heart punch and create your own by punching a pattern out of a heavy weight cardstock.

So I started out by cutting a heart out of a post it note. The easiest way to get a balanced heart is to fold the paper in half and then cut. I will be using both pieces of the cut out in this project.



Next I placed the heart under my stencil to create a blank space. I cut the heart out near the top of the post it so the sticky part will help it stay in place under my stencil. 


Coloring part ... My Favorite. Using a ink blending tool add colour to the top left, I started with Picked raspberry. You can either tap the colour down or use a circular motion, which I prefer. Then the next colour was Candied apple and then the final color was Seedless preserves. When switching colours make sure to overlap them so you get a blended look. 


Next give it a couple of spritz with your water mister. This help the colours to blend and gives the edges of the hearts a bit of a watercolour look. You can skip this step if you like. Once done remove the stencil and let dry.  TIP: you will have left over ink on your stencil, take the stencil and flip it over onto another piece of white paper and you will have another lovely piece of patterned paper. I am using that paper on my Day 8 project.


Next up I wanted to fill that "blank" area with an embossed heart.  This is where the post it "negative" comes in to play. Place it down overtop of the blank area and line it up with the edges of the hearts. Remember how I cut it out near the top of the post it, this is why. Now I have the sticky part on the top of the post it to keep it stuck down.  FIRST ( sorry I'm not yelling but really want you to do this part) use a powder tool overtop of the whole surface prior to putting down the sticky note. This will help to keep the embossing powder from sticking to the whole paper.


Time to add in the Emboss it by Ranger. This stuff creates a sticky surface for the embossing powder to stick to.  Dab it on, over top of the blank area of the post it, generously. You want lots of that goopy stuff down.

Remove the sticky note and then add your embossing powder. Tap off the excess into a coffee filter which makes it easier to put the excess powder back into the jar. I used a powder, which I am coveting, from a company that unfortunately is no longer in business (very sad). This powder has a mix of red, pink and purple which you could recreate yourself by mixing those colours together. Brilliant why did I JUST think of that! 


Yummy I just love that picture!! Continuing on, take your heat gun and apply heat to the powder just until it melts.  Do not over melt it because this will cause it to smoke and then possibly catch on fire .. No fires allowed!! 


Voila!! Enter the yummy looking shiny heart. This kind of reminds me of a gummy heart!! 


Now we want to add the sentiment. I thought this "lovely" stamp from the Close to my Heart Sweet and Lovely stamp collection would go perfect on top of that heart. I like to use Rangers Archival ink on almost everything as I like how it really stays and gives you a nice crisp stamp.

So that's my project for today. I am a day behind on the challenge due to me having come down with a really awful cold so I will be skipping one day this week but "I'll be back"!!! As Arnold would say. 

Cheers everyone and happy creating!!


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment